[rfc-i] Requirement for "clear printing"

Yoav Nir ynir at checkpoint.com
Tue Feb 19 09:07:18 PST 2013

On Feb 19, 2013, at 6:55 PM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com>
 wrote:

> On 19/02/2013 15:46, Julian Reschke wrote:
>>>
>>> I doubt he's the only one, and it's easy to accommodate him, so why
>>> not do it?
>>
>> I have my doubts about "easy to accomodate". Right now, the RFC Editor
>> spends time to optimize vertical whitespace for page breaking in
>> text/plain. I think it would be good to get rid of this waste of time.
>
> It's a lot harder to do with variable-width multi-font etc etc.
> Also, if we do it, it's really pointless if the pagination is
> different on International Standard A4 paper and local standard
> US Letter, because "foreigners" would not be able to trade page
> numbers with anyone in the USA.

Some of us, probably a majority of us, use a non-paginated format. Even now, I use the pretty html for drafts that have it. Given that, it would never be appropriate to trade page numbers. They should trade sections numbers and (if necessary) paragraph number.

> I've been trying to tie the discussion down to specifics, but I
> think it's now fairly clear to me that
>
> a) "Clear printing" is too vague, and we should say something more
> like "Easily legible printing on A4 or US Letter size paper,
> whenever possible without splitting figures and tables."
>
> b) There is a separate question of whether we also require
> identical pagination on those two paper sizes.
>
> c) There is a separate question whether we also require
> fine-grain markers such as paragraph numbers.

+1 to all these, but (b) and (c) are kind of related. If you have (c) there is less need for (b), and your printing can make better use of the page size in both A4 and US letter.

Yoav