Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Tue Feb 19 09:05:09 PST 2013

On Feb 19, 2013, at 8:58 AM, Ted Lemon <mellon at fugue.com> wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2013, at 11:47 AM, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman at vpnc.org> wrote:
>> And by "ASCII terminal", this is almost always a window that can be made at least 90 characters wide, yes? I'm sure a very small number of people will insist that they can read RFCs on an 80x24 console, but I suspect that number is much smaller than those who use terminal programs that have variable-width windows.
>
> We appear to be straying into the ASCII art discussion.

I did, yes. That is based on the assumption that was made by some people that this thread was about preserving both page length *and width* of the current RFC style.

> I think it's fine if the printed format is not canonical, and doesn't contain all the artwork.

Ah, good.

> I think adding ten characters to the right isn't going to solve the diagramming problem.

Twenty, actually. And I assure you that it would have made some of the tables and illustrations I have included in some of my RFCs *much* easier to understand. (And although you did a great job with the format restrictions in RFC 6731, have those extra columns would have meant fewer abbreviations in some of the figures.)

--Paul Hoffman