[rfc-i] Requirement for "clear printing"

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 08:55:20 PST 2013

On 19/02/2013 15:46, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2013-02-19 16:37, Ted Lemon wrote:
>> On Feb 19, 2013, at 10:19 AM, Tim Bray <tbray at textuality.com> wrote:
>>> Yeah, but there's no real utility in it, because once there's a
>>> decent HTML version available, only Martin Rex will still be using
>>> the legacy ASCII, so there'll be nobody for him to talk about page
>>> numbers with
>>
>> I doubt he's the only one, and it's easy to accommodate him, so why
>> not do it?
>
> I have my doubts about "easy to accomodate". Right now, the RFC Editor
> spends time to optimize vertical whitespace for page breaking in
> text/plain. I think it would be good to get rid of this waste of time.

It's a lot harder to do with variable-width multi-font etc etc.
Also, if we do it, it's really pointless if the pagination is
different on International Standard A4 paper and local standard
US Letter, because "foreigners" would not be able to trade page
numbers with anyone in the USA.

I've been trying to tie the discussion down to specifics, but I
think it's now fairly clear to me that

a) "Clear printing" is too vague, and we should say something more
like "Easily legible printing on A4 or US Letter size paper,
whenever possible without splitting figures and tables."

b) There is a separate question of whether we also require
identical pagination on those two paper sizes.

c) There is a separate question whether we also require
fine-grain markers such as paragraph numbers.

  Brian