Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Tue Feb 19 07:48:52 PST 2013

On 2/19/13 7:30 AM, "Dave Crocker" <dhc at dcrocker.net> wrote:

>On 2/18/2013 9:10 AM, Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) wrote:
>>     In the HTML prototype I did,
>> there were small languages for PDUs, equations, and sequence diagrams.
>> These were left in the output as the alt text for the images that they
>> generated, with the side-benefit that there was something in the
>>document
>> a visually-impaired person could use.
>

>One of the problems in the on-going discussion about representation, is
>our tendency to want to invent rather that adopt.
>
>The more details about representation that we create -- rather than
>select something existing and widely deployed with a long history -- the
>more we need special software to process it.  The more we need special
>software, the more we endanger long-term viability.

Agree.  I didn't expect that the stuff that I did in my prototype would be
where we ended up for any of these languages (other than LaTeX for
equations), nor do I think I broke any ground on the few that I did.  I
intended the statement above merely as a proof of feasibility, and a
suggestion of a potential architectural direction we could take, namely
that the alt text for an image could be semantically interesting.

--
Joe Hildebrand