Ted Lemon mellon at fugue.com
Tue Feb 19 06:39:26 PST 2013

On Feb 19, 2013, at 9:30 AM, Dave Crocker <dhc at dcrocker.net> wrote:
> The more details about representation that we create -- rather than select something existing and widely deployed with a long history -- the more we need special software to process it.  The more we need special software, the more we endanger long-term viability.

Special software like nroff?   :)

Seriously, xml is a really easy format.   I don't think there's any danger of obsolescence if we have things in a well-defined XML-based format, even if it's not strictly standard.   And if the software that processes it is open-source, I don't see why we need to be paranoid about obsolescence.