Andrew G. Malis agmalis at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 06:11:03 PST 2013

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 6:57 AM, Yoav Nir <ynir at checkpoint.com> wrote:

> I think you can have both. Suppose our paginated format (whether we call
> it canonical or not) is some word processor format, or more likely PDF. We
> can leave some room in the margin (whether it's A4 or US) and number the
> paragraphs. In fact this can also be done in HTML, although there are other
> ways to mark paragraph numbers.
>
> Some people use printed output, some view stuff in a browser, and some
> would like to use a dedicated reader (like Acrobat or Word). I think
> references to a particular point in the document should be usable with any
> of those. By numbering paragraphs (perhaps with Roman numerals to avoid
> confusing with section numbers) we can get a pointer format that works with
> all of them. Anything related to page number is only usable on the one
> paginated format. Even better, this removes the requirement to have all
> paginated formats paged the same.

A big ++ on this suggestion. I agree with many on this thread that trying
to enforce identical pagination on all printing formats (or even worse, all
display formats) is counter-productive. On the other hand, paragraphs will
be invariant no matter what size the printing or display format will be, or
the dimensions of the printed output or the display device.

I remember when we did all of our printing on big line printers with
fan-fold paper, or on TTYs. Sometimes you gotta let go of the past.

Cheers,
Andy