Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Tue Feb 19 00:42:27 PST 2013

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 2:16 AM, Brian E Carpenter
<brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, what I mean (and I suspect Ran too) is:
>
> "capability for fine-grained references when working with a printable format."
>
> That's old-fashioned, I know. However, you are advocating fine-grained
> references via anchors, which is:
>
> "capability for fine-grained references when working with a hypertext format."
>
> The question before the house is whether we want both of these, or only one.

I don't think that's the only question, or even the right one.  I use
section, paragraph, sentence numbering when I comment on I-Ds and
RFCs, and this works whether I read the thing on paper or whether I
read it on a screen -- just what is wrong or insufficient about this
approach?

The real questions are: do we want to insist on stable page numbering
in *any* output formats?  or even in *all* output formats?

The answer to the latter is quite clearly "no", but I think the answer
to the first should be "no" as well.  We do have a reasonable, and
stable-in-all-formats alternative to stable page numbering, as I've
explained above and earlier in this thread.

In the meantime the most urgent question (as far as proceeding with
this I-D goes) is: "what does 'clear printing' mean?"  It seems to
mean "stable page numbering".  If so then the I-D should be updated to
say so clearly.

Nico