Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Mon Feb 18 17:28:57 PST 2013

Fine grained reference capability would be very nice.  But if it's
based anything other than section and paragraph (and sentence)
numbering we'll need the references to appear in print and plain text
renderings.  And then we'd end up (likely) having line numbering, a la
OASIS, which then narrows line width.

I'm not fond of line numbering.  If the choice were line numbering or
equal pagination on Letter and A4 I'd pick the latter.  But the third
choice is to use neither line numbering nor page numbering for
internal, fine-grained references -- something many of us already do.

That's what I like about using section and paragraph (and sentence)
numbering: it just works.  HTML renderings can add anchor elements
that can be used to place a reference URL into the cut buffer (or
whatever), and that's nice, but anyone can count paragraphs in
sections too without much trouble, unless section get too large
anyways (but for the most part that does not happen).

I don't really care for page numbers, or pagination to come out the
same on Letter and A4.  I'm not opposed, but I don't think it should
be a strong requirement: if it conflicts with other requirements then
I'd rather see Ran's requirement be dropped.

Nico