RJ Atkinson rja.lists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 09:54:25 PST 2013

On 15  Feb 2013, at 12:34 , Paul Hoffman wrote:
> On Feb 15, 2013, at 9:02 AM, RJ Atkinson <rja.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> For ~2 decades, I've been told that those two restrictions
>> (characters/line & lines/page) were picked carefully to ensure
>> that a text/plain (.txt) format RFC would print the same on
>> both A4 and US-Letter paper sizes (which have similar
>> but different geometries).
>
> The above is true *for a particular font*.

Unlike Rich Text or PDF, RFCs in text/plain, which is
just ASCII at least today, doesn't have the *concept*
of varying fonts.

The selected values work today, and for past decades,
for essentially all A4 printers and also for essentially
all US-Letter printers, giving the same printed result.

I don't know of any US-Letter or A4 printer where the
current values ever failed to produce identical output
on the paper -- and yes I have regularly used both A4
and US-Letter paper sizes for RFCs over the years.

As I already noted earlier today, if the RFC-Editor chose
to do the analysis and pick some other values that have
identical printed outcome on both A4 and US-Letter printers,
including with the same printed page numbers, that would be
fine with me.

Cheers,

Ran