Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Fri Feb 15 09:34:58 PST 2013

On Feb 15, 2013, at 9:02 AM, RJ Atkinson <rja.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> For ~2 decades, I've been told that those two restrictions
> (characters/line & lines/page) were picked carefully to ensure
> that a text/plain (.txt) format RFC would print the same on
> both A4 and US-Letter paper sizes (which have similar
> but different geometries).

You might sometimes question what you were told. :-) The above is true *for a particular font*. And this it is not true for every possible font. There are plenty of fixed-width fonts in various sizes that will fit 90 columns on a printed page. I assume that could be also be true for the number of lines as well, but for this discussion, I am only concerned with making our ASCII art more usable while not affecting plain-text output.

--Paul Hoffman