Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Fri Feb 15 08:43:33 PST 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> I guess individual custom does vary widely.
> I'm not aware of anybody who uses paper versions regularly.
> I think some people do print them to read on a plane, but technology is
> rapidly rendering that irrelevant.

Reading a PDF of an RFC in PDF annotation software on a tablet is very
much like printing: you get to set bookmarks, scribble everywhere,
delete pages, ...

So I tend to agree with Ran here.  We should have at least one
rendering that can be printed in a nicely paginated form.

I'm less concerned about everyone getting the same pagination because
we address content in other ways too and could easily adapt to that
"section 2.3.1, second paragraph, third sentence, ...".  But it
strikes me that if we make the new requirements clever enough we're
really talking about an evolution, not a revolution, in the tools that
we have, and then keeping at least one rendering with common
pagination won't be hard.

Nico