Marc Blanchet marc.blanchet at viagenie.ca
Fri Feb 15 07:36:54 PST 2013

Le 2013-02-15 à 10:00, RJ Atkinson a écrit :

> Heather,
>
>  A key feature of the current RFC publication process is
> that a given RFC (or I-D) will have identical pagination
> -- regardless of whether it is printed on A4 paper,
> printed on US-Letter paper, or even viewed in a web browser
> (i.e., browser showing text/plain format, rather than
> a browser showing HTML format).
>
>  This means that when working with colleagues, one
> can talk about some RFC (or I-D) and use the page
> number as a reference/anchor point in our discussions.
> Today, even folks working from an electronic copy
> (if using the text/plain ".txt" format, rather than the
> HTML format) also have that pagination visible to them.
>
>  It would be a nightmare to have a colleague refer
> to (his/her) "page 4" and have that be "page 3" or
> "page 5" on my own copy.  That would be a huge waste
> of a lot of folks' time, and seems easily avoidable.
>
>  While I'm sure that individual custom varies, nearly
> all of the implementers that I know well normally work
> from a printed copy.  Similarly, many reviewers of I-Ds
> and readers of RFCs find it more effective to work from
> a printed copy.

I disagree. I agree that we need a way for many people to refer to the same place in a document. But pagination is not the only way to do that, and introduces more problems. Some other ways are:
a) refer to sections and paragraphs
b) like other SDOs do, add line numbers to each line.

I'm just fine with a). b) is also useful and interesting.