IAB issue tracker trac+iab at trac.tools.ietf.org
Thu Feb 7 15:24:04 PST 2013

#266: Requirement for "Clear Printing"

Comment (by hlflanagan at gmail.com):

 I am not certain exactly what you mean by "clear printing".  The old
 requirements being retired were created with the expectation for printing
 to a certain paper size and format.  Those requirements today are more
 commonly handled by tools (e.g. browsers, e-readers, print drivers) on the
 user side of things and I think that is acceptable.  Where printing is
 preferred, the tools available to the users can control the printing to
 meet their particular circumstances more adeptly than requiring strict
 line length and pagination which would in turn impact other forms of
 display.  I don't think specifically requiring "clear printing" if it
 means "make absolutely sure that something prints out to a specific
 layout" is necessary.

 Reporter:                           |       Owner:  draft-iab-
  bernard_aboba at hotmail.com          |  rfcformatreq at tools.ietf.org
     Type:  defect                   |      Status:  new