[rfc-i] Allowing unnumbered t items in a list

Riccardo Bernardini framefritti at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 09:32:03 PST 2013

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 6:12 PM, Jim Schaad <ietf at augustcellars.com> wrote:
> I have never been happy with the fact that if I wanted to have multiple
> paragraphs with a single list bullet, then I needed to use the vspace item
> to make the separate paragraphs show up.  It makes more sense to me to allow
> for keeping the structure (i.e. paragraphs) and use decoration to say don't
> emit a bullet for this item.
>
> Thus
>
> <list>
> <t>....</t>
> <t unnumbered="yes">....</t>
> <t>
> </list>

I agree.  Actually, if I had to choose, I would use for the item list
a different node than the one used for the paragraph, e.g.,
<item>...</item>. Your example would become

<list>
<item>
</item>
</list>

The idea is that a list item and a paragraph are two different
objects, so I would prefer to keep them separated.  Yes, you have to
write a little bit more, but I do not think it is such a big deal,
especially if you have an editor smart enough...

I confess that maybe the fact that I am a LaTeX user could be
responsible for this preference of mine... :-)