[rfc-i] Remove some requirements on element order

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Tue Dec 17 00:18:20 PST 2013

On 2013/12/17 6:49, Paul Hoffman wrote:

There are several questions here:

1) Is this the right and only order (of how these elements should appear
in (final) output), or do other orders make sense?

If we get a 'yes' here, then obviously we have to make this change, but
so far, things seem to have worked well with this fixed order.

2) Do we want to make it easier for the author(s), or easier for the
tool(s)?

Currently, it's the author(s) who have to put things in the right order,
and the tools just copy things over. If we relax the order of input, but
we want to keep the order on output, the tools will have to do more work.

3) Do we want to allow more than one of each of the subelements?

With a DTD, allowing at most one of each is quite simple if the order is
fixed, whereas it's a *lot* of work if the order is open.

Regards,   Martin.