[rfc-i] Retirement of the RFC xx99 series

Sandy Ginoza sginoza at amsl.com
Fri Dec 13 11:48:42 PST 2013

On Dec 13, 2013, at 10:23 AM, Nico Williams wrote:

>> The part that really drove my curiosity while scripting around 1rfc-index.txt
>> was why some of the non issued RFCs had explicitly been marked and others not so
>> and whether that could maybe be aligned in any of the two directions.
>
> Good question.  I must confess some curiosity as well, but... look at
> the time!  Let me know what you find though, I really am curious.

While it is not mentioned in the message, the RFC Production Center will be doing data clean up to make these entries uniform.  RFC 7101 describes the cleanup associated with ending the RFC xx00 documents; we will be doing similar cleanup to what is described in that document for RFC xx99 documents.  From RFC 7101:

   As part of the cleanup related to ending the series of RFC xx00
   documents titled "Internet Official Protocol Standards", the RFC
   Editor will mark a number of unused numbers ending in 00 through RFC
   7000 "never issued".  All RFC numbers ending in 00 from 7100 upwards
   will now be available to be assigned for any RFC.

Thanks,
Sandy Ginoza