[rfc-i] Retirement of the RFC xx99 series

Sandy Ginoza sginoza at amsl.com
Fri Dec 13 08:58:37 PST 2013

Peter,

Thank you for your input.  In terms of RFCs, the numbering is not an issue, as the name of the RFC is RFC 1, for example, as opposed to RFC 0001.  In terms of tooling, the RFC Editor is aware of the RFC 10,000 issue and we have it on our agenda to identify the tooling updates that are needed.  We do not anticipate reusing the previously unassigned number gaps, as numbers are infinite.  Note that, assuming about 300 publications a year, it will take us about 9 years to reach RFC 10,000.

Sandy Ginoza