[rfc-i] Retirement of the RFC xx99 series

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Fri Dec 13 03:17:23 PST 2013

On 2013/12/13 18:33, Loa Andersson wrote:
> Peter,
>
> I've no problem with researching the possibility to re-use un-assigned
> numbers, plese do that

I also have no problem with somebody doing such research, but given that
overall, there cannot be much more than about 300 free numbers (the max
for 00/99 up to 10000 is around 100 each, and for others, 79 have
already been counted).

300 free numbers probably lasts for a year or so, so it doesn't really
make much of a difference, because we have to face the problem anyway.
These kinds of problems don't get solved better by putting them off,
only by being aware of them in due time.

> exactly what is the problem with using 5 digit RFC numbers? We used
> three digits for quite some time.

Yes indeed. Actually, if somebody thinks that's a problem, I propose
preparing and publishing an RFC entitled "The RFC 10000 Problem" and
issuing it as RFC 10000 (or so), well before we get close to actually
have to issue five-digit numbers. Maybe shooting for a publication date
of 2014/04/01 would make sense?

Regards,   Martin.