[rfc-i] Retirement of the RFC xx99 series

Peter Koch pk at DENIC.DE
Fri Dec 13 01:11:53 PST 2013

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 06:38:50AM -0800, RFC Series Editor wrote:

> the RFC Editor has proposed to retire the practice of publishing RFCs
> xx99.  Based on the feedback received, this action is now formally
> concluded and these documents will no longer be created and published.

the explanation suggests that the '99 numbers _may_ be assigned in the
future.  With the 4-digit RFC number space due to expire before 2020,
there are now some serious issues around number conservation and re-assignment.
This goes beyond the '99 series but relates to other unassigned numbers, as well.

Of these unassigned numbers, there are at least two kinds: 79 RFCs (ending with
RFC 4637) are explicitly marked "Not Issued.".  Of the RFC numbers below 7000,
94 have not yet been assigned -- in addition to those marked "Not Issued.". (*)
The latter category includes '00 and '99 vacancies and includes numbers
before 4637 (marking the end of the "Not Issued." era) and after
(NB: 4637 is the elder of a pair of twin primes).

I would like to suggest some research be conducted on the number exhaustion
problem to inform a debate about the future use of unissued numbers of either kind.

-Peter

(*) apologies for dot-quote-dot