[rfc-i] RFC Production Center request for unnumbered sections

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Thu Dec 12 06:33:56 PST 2013

On 2013-12-12 15:03, Elwyn Davies wrote:
> Hi.
>
> If we go down the path of modifying the Section element then maybe we
> should consider doing away with the Note element which behaves more or
> less like the proposed unnumbered section but is currently only allowed
> at the end of Front elements - but I guess that is not backwards
> compatible.
>
> As an alternative to modifying the Section spec we could allow Notes at
> the beginning and/or end of Font and Back.

Technically, yes, we could say "note" == "unnumbered section". However,
that'll probably be confusing for authors.

> Currently Notes don't appear in the ToC (mainly because they are before
> the ToC I suspect).  This could be be implicitly or explicitly
> (toc="yes/no" attribute) modified for Notes later in the document.
>
> How would an unnumbered section be referenced?

Not by number, but potentially by name... I think that's what
format=title would do
(http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-xml2rfc-latest.html#element.xref.attribute.format).

Best regards, Julian