[rfc-i] [IAB] Community Input Sought on SOWs for RFC Production Center and RFC Publisher

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Mon Aug 19 16:18:45 PDT 2013

On 8/17/13 9:27 AM, Eliot Lear wrote:
> Hi Ray,
>
> I have one question regarding 3:
>
>> 3.Accountability
>> The RPC is responsible to the RSE as regards to RFC Series consistency.
>

> This is the entirety of a section called "accountability".  Can this be
> clarified?  What about other than RFC Series consistency?  What is
> example of how this statement might be relevant or operative?

Hello Eliot,

The original SoW for the RPC (and the Publisher) had them answering to
an unfortunate number of people and committees.  This was one of the
sections we tried to tighten up to indicate that the RPC really has to
answer to one role, the RSE.  The original text was:

---
  1.  The RPC is responsible for compliance with policies, processes and
procedures as they relate to the consistency of the RFC series.

  2.  The RPC is primarily responsible to the RFC Series Editor as
regards to RFC series consistency.

  3.  The RFC Series Editor may refer matters involving RPC compliance
to the policies, processes and procedures to the IAOC.
---

Items 1 and 3 left the RPC responsible to too many other groups.  The
SoW contained no clear direction regarding who/what would be the
tie-breaker if, for instance, an IAOC policy contradicted an IAB/RSOC
policy.  After much discussion with the RPC & Publisher Selection
Committee and the RSOC, those two lines were simply removed.  The end
goal is to simply make it clear regarding to whom the RPC is held
accountable.

-Heather