[rfc-i] Community Input Sought on SOWs for RFC Production Center and RFC Publisher

SM sm at resistor.net
Tue Aug 13 13:14:36 PDT 2013

Hi Heather,
At 11:54 13-08-2013, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:
>It's not just the Style Guide, though that is the biggest part of it.
>There are also the handouts and FAQs on the RFC Editor website to help
>authors.

Ok.

>There is a snapshot of current tools in use in the Publisher SoW.

Thanks.  I missed the rest of the pages in that document.

   "RFCs are published on the Publisher's website."

I suggest "RFC Editor website".

   "1.2.1. providing at least two (2) independent, geographically
separate sites,
    with a response time in line with current network standards,"

What network standards are applicable?

   "1.5. IP Support.
    The Publisher shall provide world-class IP support, IPv4 and IPv6.  All
    services should be accessible from IPv4 and IPv6, with no difference in
    performance, quality, delay, and support."

What's "world-class IP support"? :-)

   "1.7.  Services Security.  Services are to be protected by best commercial
          practice industry standard security mechanisms, such as DNSSEC"

The above does not offer any security as "best commercial practice
industry standard" is subjective.

Is there a reason why the vendor business hours are in PDT/PST or is
this for historical reasons?

   "Vendor reserves the right to execute emergency maintenance at any time
    without notice, but will notify the Customer, IAD and the
Community as soon as
    possible (targeting notification at least 120 minutes prior to event)."

This is unusual.  I gather that RSOC has given some serious thought
to this as it is only when things go wrong that people read the fine print.

>In what time frame?

I suggest as from 2012.

Regards,
-sm