[rfc-i] Updating drafts that are in the RFC Editor's queue?

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Tue Apr 23 14:23:17 PDT 2013

On 4/23/13 10:55 AM, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> Greetings again. There is a draft in the IETF stream that is in the RFC Editor's queue. After it entered that state, the authors updated the draft twice. The updates were made in agreement with the sponsoring AD, and would have been made during AUTH48 nonetheless.
>
> Is it OK to update drafts once they are in the RFC Editor queue? If so, what is the last RFC Editor state where updates are allowed? I ask because I would have assumed that updated would be prohibited as soon as the draft went into the queue, but clearly that is not being enforced by the tools.

Hi Paul,

>From the RFC Editor perspective, updating an I-D after a
document/protocol action has been sent is discouraged, but not
prohibited.  This is not a common issue and can usually be handled by
the RFC Editor reviewing a diff file between the approved version of the
I-D and the updated version available via the Datatracker, and
determining whether the updates are reasonable, need to be reviewed by
the stream approver, or require a new document/protocol action (if the
changes are significant).

In the rare case in which a new version of an I-D is made available
after an editor has worked on it, the RFC Editor reviews the diff files
to determine whether the changes and workload are reasonable (folding
changes into the edited document) or whether approving body should be
notified that significant changes have been made that require approval
and will impact the document's progress through the queue.

Heather