[rfc-i] Updating drafts that are in the RFC Editor's queue?

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Tue Apr 23 13:08:17 PDT 2013

On Apr 23, 2013, at 12:56 PM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you are asking "is it OK to update IETF stream drafts once they are
> in the RFC Editor queue?", I think this is the wrong list for that
> question, since it's a question about IETF process.

No, it's about the agreement between the RFC Editor and the stream. We don't know what those agreements are with respect to when changes can be made.

> By extrapolation - the answer is always stream-specific.

Yes, or the RFC Editor has the same agreement with each stream. That would be useful information.

>> From a purely practical PoV, I think the answer is "perhaps". If a
> stream wants a late change, it could presumably always be done
> at AUTH48, but if for some reason the production shop agrees that
> it's more practical to do it with a new I-D, why not?

Because if we don't know when it is acceptable to rev the draft and when it is not, some changes that might be made public through a draft change will be delayed and made in private during AUTH48. Surprising the community less is a good thing in general, but probably not at the expense of making the RFC editing process harder to run. Thus my question.

--Paul Hoffman