[rfc-i] Updating drafts that are in the RFC Editor's queue?

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 12:56:05 PDT 2013

On 24/04/2013 02:55, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> Greetings again. There is a draft in the IETF stream that is in the RFC Editor's queue. After it entered that state, the authors updated the draft twice. The updates were made in agreement with the sponsoring AD, and would have been made during AUTH48 nonetheless.
>
> Is it OK to update drafts once they are in the RFC Editor queue? If so, what is the last RFC Editor state where updates are allowed? I ask because I would have assumed that updated would be prohibited as soon as the draft went into the queue, but clearly that is not being enforced by the tools.

If you are asking "is it OK to update IETF stream drafts once they are
in the RFC Editor queue?", I think this is the wrong list for that
question, since it's a question about IETF process.

By extrapolation - the answer is always stream-specific.

>From a purely practical PoV, I think the answer is "perhaps". If a
stream wants a late change, it could presumably always be done
at AUTH48, but if for some reason the production shop agrees that
it's more practical to do it with a new I-D, why not?

   Brian