[rfc-i] Errata process

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Fri Apr 19 08:31:03 PDT 2013

The question is whether errata are the Comments intended by "Request for
Comments", or whether they are intended as pending updates to the doc.

AFAICT, they are the latter - they're not listed as comments, but rather
errata.

As such, it is inappropriate to include comments not vetted and approved
by the authors and (where appropriate) the WG and/or IESG.

I know of cases where errata were rejected because they were either
clearly incorrect, created ambiguity, tried to clarify something that
has not been resolved by the community, etc. - or even those that were
clearly inappropriate under the categories provided (e.g., new
extensions that exceeded the intent of the original doc).

Errata ought to catalog document *errors*. They're not a mechanism to
log the ongoing evolution of a protocol, nor comments from the community.

Joe