[rfc-i] Wider space after sentence-ending periods, yes or no?

Martin Rex mrex at sap.com
Fri Apr 12 12:47:50 PDT 2013

Julian Reschke wrote:
> Nico Williams wrote:
>
> > See subject.  See also
> > http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/115 and ensuing
> > thread on the xml2rfc list.

YES!

The TeX Book, Chapter 12 Glue.

In my 16th printing (June 1989) it is the bottom paragraph on page 72

     Now here's something important for all TeXnical typists to know: Plain
  TeX puts extra space at the end of a sentence;

and continues
                                                 furthermore, it automatically
  increases the stretchability (and decreases the shrinkability) after
  punctuation marks. The reason is that it's usually better to put more space
  after punctuation than between two ordinary words, when spreading a line
  out to reach the desired margins.

> No. Why, again, do weed something special in the IETF? (*)
>
> Best regards, Julian
>
> (*) Assuming that we'll move to a format that allows proportional fonts
> for prose.

OUCH!

When using proportional fonts, you're getting closer to typesetting,
so the issue will become MORE rather than less important!

-Martin