[rfc-i] Wider space after sentence-ending periods, yes or no?

Ted Lemon mellon at fugue.com
Fri Apr 12 06:37:39 PDT 2013

On Apr 12, 2013, at 8:51 AM, "George, Wes" <wesley.george at twcable.com> wrote:
> We should remove any systematic handling of periods, period.

Weshouldalsoremovespacesfromregulartext.Devanagarigetsbyjustfinewithoutthem.Whydoweneedthem?

I've been noticing that the datatracker, which attempts to re-justify comment text when sending mail, goes absolutely haywire if there's extraneous whitespace in the text.   I've had to re-edit nearly every comment I type because my muscle memory happens to include three texts after the period (don't ask me why—I've been doing it since I learned to type and really have no recollection as to how it got started).

I find Wes' single period difficult to read, but I get the sense that the single vs. double space after period debate is not going to be a good use of time—there appears to be some religion that comes with it.   It's almost as if it ought to be a setting that you can choose on output...