[rfc-i] Color/grayscale/monochrome (was: Re: Reasons for going beyond ASCII art)

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Thu Sep 27 07:53:53 PDT 2012

On 9/26/12 11:59 PM, "Cullen Jennings" <fluffy at iii.ca> wrote:

>Imagine you have two version of a doc where the only difference was the
>color of some object in the draft had changed. I suspect we don't have
>diff tools that are \ capable of dealing with that very well.

Even if it's a monochrome line drawing, we probably don't have adequate
diff tools.

>And Accessibility for color blind people is also complicated

Yes.

Even given these issues, I think we should leave it to our normal process
to select what constitutes "good enough to publish", perhaps with some
guidelines like:

- All specs MUST contain descriptive text adequate to allow multiple
implementations of the spec to interoperate.
- If you must use anything other than descriptive text (even ASCII art)
you MUST include alt text for accessibility.
- If you must use a diagram, keep it as simple as possible.  Think patent
drawings, not rendered 3D models.
- If you must use color, keep it as simple as possible, and keep in mind
that there are lots of colorblind people and monochrome printers in the
world.  One legitimate use of color would be specifications that are
dealing with graphics or video formats that need to use different colors
to illustrate directly relevant information.

--
Joe Hildebrand