[rfc-i] Metadata

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Tue Sep 25 12:08:28 PDT 2012

On Sep 25, 2012, at 11:43 AM, Dave Crocker <dhc at dcrocker.net> wrote:

>>> The fact that most people on the consumer side do not have to deal with
>>> structural metadata does not justify using the term to exclude that use.
>>
>> Correct. In fact, no one suggested that structural metadata be excluded for any reason.
>

> Then I don't understand what you are proposing.

Proposal: add a new definition to Section 1.1:
* Metadata: information that is derived from, or extracted from, the document. Metadata can be collected manually, with tools that make guesses based on document structure, or by markings in the document.

That definition encompasses (at least) structural and format data, which are the two you said were needed.

Where we disagree is that the definition in the -00, and your definition, define metadata as "ways to indicate" something. Defining something as a "way" seems unnecessarily vague.

--Paul Hoffman