[rfc-i] Reasons for going beyond ASCII art

Ole Jacobsen ole at cisco.com
Tue Sep 25 07:56:26 PDT 2012

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:

> Very good point!  Something about this needs to be in the doc.  I
> think opening up to color introduces a rather large set of
> complications. Color blindness and screen calibration issues are the
> first concerns that pop in to my head.  I understand some people
> will find the diagrams that much easier to read if color was
> involved, but I am not convinced the benefit outweighs the
> difficulties this would introduce.
>
> -Heather

I agree, this is a complicated issue. Speaking as someone who has
worked with 2-color publications for 25 years, I cannot tell you
the number of times I have had to "reduce" a multi-colored original
down to 2 (or 1) color.

I was thinking that the RFC diagrams could be something akin to those
found in patent applications, here for example is one for Lego:

http://www.trendsnow.net/cms/uploads/2012/03/Lego_Patent_Drawing.jpg

I don't know if there is an actual "patent standard" for these kinds
of things, but I like how they are both simple and clear.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole at cisco.com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj
Skype: organdemo