[rfc-i] Notes on "revisable format"

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Tue Sep 25 07:36:45 PDT 2012

On 9/21/12 2:59 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:

> On 9/21/2012 10:38 AM, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>> Greetings agin. The -00 says: =====
>>
>> Revisable format = the format that will provide the information for
>> conversion into an Publication format; it is used or created by the
>> RFC Editor
>>
>> *  Currently: XML (optional), NROFF (required) =====
>>
>> The bullet is completely unclear. Proposed:
>>
>> Currently, if a submission does not come with an NROFF equivalent,
>> the RFC Editor uses XML for most of the editorial processing, and
>> then converts it to NROFF at the end of the process. If a submission
>> comes with an NROFF equivalent, the RFC Editor uses NROFF throughout
>> the process.
>
> I think that discussion of "currently" distracts from the basic
> explanation.  So...
>
>    The format that combines content with metadata, including document
> format and structure guidance, to direct conversion into a Publication
> format; it is used or created by the RFC Editor.

Interesting.  I had taken out the "currently's" for much the reasons you
both suggest, and then found that some of the pre-readers couldn't apply
the descriptions to what was actually being done today.

I like Dave's definition also, but what about the others? Are they
sufficiently clear with out the current examples?

-Heather