[rfc-i] Reasons for going beyond ASCII art

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Fri Sep 21 10:58:06 PDT 2012

Greetings again. The -00 draft says:
=====
   Arguments in favor of replacing ASCII art with more complex diagrams
   include:

      *  Given the difficulties in expressing complex equations with
         common mathematical notation, allowing graphic art would allow
         equations to be displayed properly.
=====

People have expressed *many* reasons other than just that one. Off the top of my head, others that have been brought up include:

* state diagrams with multiple arrows in different directions and labels on the lines

* protocol flow diagrams where each step needs multiple lines of description

* scenario descriptions that involve three or more parties with communication flows between them

In fact, given how few times equations are used in our documents, even that one is minor relative to the others that are commonly mentioned.

--Paul Hoffman