[rfc-i] Technical changes after AUTH48

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Tue Oct 16 07:40:02 PDT 2012

Greetings again. While we are waiting for Heather and Nevil to publish their updated draft, here is a completely unrelated topic.

In an IETF WG, there was a -bis document that took forever to get published because technical suggestions trickled in and it was never clear when they were done. The trickle continued through IETF LC. They have continued *after* IESG approval. The document is now in RFC-EDITOR state.

...and it now has three technical changes that the authors want applied during AUTH48. These are not small changes: a protocol state is added, a list of states that require an action needs additions, and an appendix that had a complicated descriptive figure is removed.

Should making these kinds of changes be acceptable? I ask this hoping that the answer is "yes" because I care about the particular document and am distressed that it has taken so long to get published, but if the RFC Editor is going to disallow the changes, the WG should know early so that a -ter document can be prepared immediately.

--Paul Hoffman