[rfc-i] "wysiwyg" requirement

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Sat Nov 10 19:17:36 PST 2012

>Except for, nroff is an outdated tool that has no notion of structural
>integrity (or actually of structure at all), ...

Actually, it is possible to structure nroff and troff documents as
intricately as you want, but it requires a superhuman level of
discipline.  The existing nroff process uses a moderately
sophisticated macro package, but what it's really used for is quite
simple, mostly for line filling and page breaks.

I agree that it is reasonable to encourage people to move to more
modern formats and tools.

>From discussions with the production center staff, it is my impression
that they will deal with whatever formats people submit, even if it
requires a lot of hand-editing and markup.  But it would be better
overall if people did their own markup. The staff's time is better
spent doing the things that only they can do, and document authors are
always going to understand the structure of their own documents better
than anyone else.

--
Regards,