[rfc-i] "wysiwyg" requirement

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Sat Nov 10 17:39:55 PST 2012

Hello Andrew,

On 2012/11/10 20:24, Andrew G. Malis wrote:
> Julian,
>
> NroffEdit gives you two windows next to each other, one with the nroff
> input and the other with the rendered output. You can edit in either window
> and the other window is automatically updated in real time to reflect the
> change. Both the .nroff and .txt are also saved to your disk
> simultaneously. That should satisfy your requirement.

Let me explain Julian's point a bit more.

The fact that you can see the "final" document is in many ways a big
advantage, because it helps you see whether your nroff instructions make
any sense or not. But the problem is that it only makes sure that one
single view of the document looks right or not.

As soon as we have more than one version of the document (which we
essentially already have, because we have PDF and HTML views, which many
people prefer over the simple plaintext view, and there is metadata in
various forms, which can also be seen as a view on the document), there
is a danger that by trying to fix something so that the view you see
looks better, the other views, the ones you don't see, will deteriorate.

Regards,   Martin.