[rfc-i] "wysiwyg" requirement

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Sat Nov 10 16:42:44 PST 2012

Except for, nroff is an outdated tool that has no notion of structural
integrity (or actually of structure at all), fosters the illusion that
66-line 80-column monospaced paginated text is anything but an accidental
artifact of long-obsolete display technology, and and whose use is rapidly
heading into the territory of “actively harmful”.

My problem is that I can’t help thinking of the IETF as (in part) a
publisher of high-value intellectual content, and that content deserves
better respect than is shown by the use of tools that were second-rate 30
years ago.

 -T