[rfc-i] RFC Format: Update from IETF85

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Thu Nov 8 15:19:39 PST 2012

On 11/8/2012 6:12 PM, Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) wrote:
> On 11/8/12 5:37 PM, "Dave Crocker" <dhc at dcrocker.net> wrote:
>> you want me to be specific and unambiguous?  damn.  that's no fun...
> Heather has found your kryptonite. :)

i'm pretty sure that superman's reaction was a bit worse than merely
feeling hassled.

but maybe you're right...

>> but just to appease your absurdly unreasonable demand that I be clear:
>>       Variable-width fonts are only permitted for free-running
>>       prose in paragraphs.
> Or the alternate formulation:
> 	Fixed-width fonts are required for ASCII-art sections, source
> 	code examples, and other places where strict alignment is required.
> Your text above might mean that section headings are fixed-width.  The

she asked for examples, not for my recommendations of what the specifics
should be.  i tried to formulate text that was credible, but didn't
worry about their being acceptable.

I'm glad to join you in nit-picking the details of Heather's actual,
proffered text, when she formulates the type of contingent requirements
I suggest.

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking