[rfc-i] RFC Format: Update from IETF85

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Thu Nov 8 15:12:38 PST 2012

On 11/8/12 5:37 PM, "Dave Crocker" <dhc at dcrocker.net> wrote:

>you want me to be specific and unambiguous?  damn.  that's no fun...

Heather has found your kryptonite. :)

>but just to appease your absurdly unreasonable demand that I be clear:
>
>      Variable-width fonts are only permitted for free-running
>      prose in paragraphs.

Or the alternate formulation:

	Fixed-width fonts are required for ASCII-art sections, source
	code examples, and other places where strict alignment is required.

Your text above might mean that section headings are fixed-width.  The
nitpick here isn't as important as the principal, which is having the
context and the reasoning behind the requirement next to the requirement
might be useful later, so if the assumption doesn't end up holding, we can
revisit the decision more easily.

>or
>
>      Color may be used for visual emphasis but must not be
>      essential to understanding (to avoid detriment for the
>      color-blind).

I think the accessibility requirement probably needs a little more text;
this is only one place where accessibility impacts the choices that will
be made.

--
Joe Hildebrand