[rfc-i] open issues: small and mobile screens

Joe Hildebrand jhildebr at cisco.com
Thu May 31 17:29:19 PDT 2012

On 5/31/12 1:41 PM, "Bjoern Hoehrmann" <derhoermi at gmx.net> wrote:

> I have seen a number of sites that turn RFC plain text into properly
> flowing HTML, usually with "bugs" with indented text and ASCII art and
> so on, mainly, it seemed, because those were ad-hoc 80/20 good-enough
> projects. I don't know of anything current or comprehensive, but if
> people want this, it should not be too difficult to come up with some
> solution that works well. Putting it around, I would want this for all
> RFCs, not just for RFC 7000+, so looking into how to turn plain text
> RFCs into better HTML is likely a better use of resources than trying
> to make this a major concern for future formats.

With a submission format that is adequately marked up, this becomes quite
easy.  For old RFCs for which XML is available, this is also
straightforward.  For old RFCs with no XML, we can decide if it is worth the
time invested to migrate them.  I do not think that last decision should
block going forward with new submission, archival, and output formats.

I do think that reflowable HTML will be able to solve 80+% of the small
device problem.  Further, magic like this:

Solves the next 5%.  What's left is images.  If we reduced the pan/scan
problem to just where images occur, that would be a big step forward from
the status quo.  If we used this as a mechanism to discourage image use, I'd
be ok with that.  If we used this as a mechanism to ensure that all images
are non-normative and adequately described with normative text, I'd be even
happier from the standpoint of accessibility.

--
Joe Hildebrand