[rfc-i] open issues: character sets of examples

Joe Hildebrand jhildebr at cisco.com
Thu May 31 14:56:35 PDT 2012

On 5/31/12 12:48 PM, "Iljitsch van Beijnum" <iljitsch at muada.com> wrote:

> At least once a week I run into websites where the non-ASCII characters are
> messed up because the author of the page used UTF-8 while my browser thinks
> the page is in Latin-1 or the other way around. And once the Unicode starts
> getting interesting, the little square box that indicates the character in
> question isn't available typically makes an appearance or two.

The nit-checking apparatus will be able to ensure that the archive format is
properly UTF-8 encoded, is served with the correct Content-Type, and that
the file includes an explicit meta tag for conent-type in case the file is
loaded through a mechanism that does not provide an HTTP header.

This should avoid all of the issues except for "I don't have a font that
contains that codepoint" and "I'm on a device that doesn't do combining
characters".

For the first one, we can give guidance on the sorts of characters that are
widely-supported.  We can also ask folks to check the display of those
characters on multiple systems as a part of the review process.

The second one, there are a rapidly decreasing set of devices that have this
problem, and I continue to be much more worried about the devices of the
future than the devices of the past, and the devices of the future will not
have issues with combining characters.

--
Joe Hildebrand