[rfc-i] open issues: small and mobile screens

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Thu May 31 13:41:07 PDT 2012

* Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>This is an interesting point: maybe what is needed for small screens
>is better access to protocol text, but not necessarily to things like
>diagrams.  I don't have an opinion about that just now, but I will
>note that today the html versions I can get from a site with .ietf.org
>in the host part of the URI don't flow anyway, unless someone has
>introduced a feature I overlooked.

I have seen a number of sites that turn RFC plain text into properly
flowing HTML, usually with "bugs" with indented text and ASCII art and
so on, mainly, it seemed, because those were ad-hoc 80/20 good-enough
projects. I don't know of anything current or comprehensive, but if
people want this, it should not be too difficult to come up with some
solution that works well. Putting it around, I would want this for all
RFCs, not just for RFC 7000+, so looking into how to turn plain text
RFCs into better HTML is likely a better use of resources than trying
to make this a major concern for future formats.