[rfc-i] open issues: character sets of examples

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Thu May 31 12:48:43 PDT 2012

On 31 May 2012, at 20:02 , Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> "Ah," the counter-argument says, "but not everyone is using Unicode!"
> Surely, however, this is a case where an encoding tag solves that
> problem?  We seem to be capable of handling this in nearly every
> browser I have seen in many years.

Again, I'm not necessarily against non-latin forms of names, address and examples in addition to the latin forms (but never as a replacement!) but you have to recognize that Unicode is not universally supported correctly.

At least once a week I run into websites where the non-ASCII characters are messed up because the author of the page used UTF-8 while my browser thinks the page is in Latin-1 or the other way around. And once the Unicode starts getting interesting, the little square box that indicates the character in question isn't available typically makes an appearance or two.