[rfc-i] open issues: character encoding of names

Yoav Nir ynir at checkpoint.com
Thu May 31 12:48:51 PDT 2012

No, I think providing an English transliteration should be mandatory, although it's up to Sally to decide whether it's "Mueller" or "Muller".

I should not give you only "יואב ניר" because (1) it will give you no idea who wrote the draft and how to say my name, and (2) the font you use to display the document may not contain glyphs for these characters. In fact, I'm sure some of you reading this mail are seeing them incorrectly.

We might relax this where it's a simple accent, such as for most European languages, because most fonts support those, but if you have Cyrillic, Greek, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, or Japanese characters in your name, you need to give us a hint on how to pronounce it.

Yoav