[rfc-i] open issues: small and mobile screens

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu May 31 11:51:49 PDT 2012

Hi,

I think what we have in this case is a dispute about empirical
matters.

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 11:33:59AM -0700, Joe Touch wrote:

> Cellphones are not currently practical for reading books or
> paper-length output from other sources.

Just as a point of information, my wife reports that she knows people
who claim to have _written_ their indie-published e-books in their
spare time, on the subway on the way to work, using their iphones.
These people are young, have good eyesight and tremendous fine motor
control, and are motivated by the few hundred bucks a month they make
from these stories.

I cannot say I have written anything of any length on my iphone, but I
sometimes comfortably read whole chapters of books on the kindle
reader I have installed on there.  Some of those books were originally
in paper format.

Therefore, I cannot testify that cellphones are practical for writing,
but I can testify that they are practical for me for reading.

> If you want to consult a snippet of a doc, panning around is fine -

I hereby testify that I do not find it fine.  I find it fine to read
books on the Kindle reader on my iphone, but I find the RFC output to
be nearly unusable.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com