[rfc-i] open issues: small and mobile screens

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Thu May 31 11:41:54 PDT 2012

> On 5/31/12 12:33 PM, Joe Touch wrote:
>>

>> On 5/31/2012 11:28 AM, Tim Bray wrote:
>>> A big modern 4+-inch-diagonal phone, with a high-pixel-density screen,
>>> is practical for reading almost anything.  Even if I believed your
>>> assertion that it’s too small for anything but a few paragraphs, the
>>> case of looking up just a few paragraphs is an important one; it seems
>>> a no-brainer that consulting a little chunk of ABNF or
>>> codespace-repertoire or some such is at least as common as reading
>>> specs end-to-end.
>>
>> Cellphones are not currently practical for reading books or paper-length
>> output from other sources.
>
> I do that already. But perhaps I'm not practical.
>
>> If you want to consult a snippet of a doc, panning around is fine - and
>> already works with the existing RFC format.
>
> That is not my experience.

Cellphones are somewhere around 1000x700 - XGA, but they're also tiny
(4" diagonal).

Current readers that support extended "reading" (Kindle, Nook) are at
least 7" with XGA resolution. That seems like a reasonable lower-bound -
i.e., same resolution, but nearly 4x the area.

OK, so how constrained a device should we support, or is there no limit?

What's the spec that supports a 1-pixel display?

Joe