[rfc-i] open issues: small and mobile screens

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Thu May 31 11:33:59 PDT 2012

On 5/31/2012 11:28 AM, Tim Bray wrote:
> A big modern 4+-inch-diagonal phone, with a high-pixel-density screen,
> is practical for reading almost anything.  Even if I believed your
> assertion that it’s too small for anything but a few paragraphs, the
> case of looking up just a few paragraphs is an important one; it seems
> a no-brainer that consulting a little chunk of ABNF or
> codespace-repertoire or some such is at least as common as reading
> specs end-to-end.

Cellphones are not currently practical for reading books or paper-length
output from other sources.

If you want to consult a snippet of a doc, panning around is fine - and
already works with the existing RFC format.

That's two clear and specific reasons not to let cellphone outputs drive
the requirements.

Joe