[rfc-i] Proper use of word processors

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Tue May 29 15:48:53 PDT 2012

On 5/29/2012 12:27 PM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> On 29 May 2012, at 19:10 , Joe Touch wrote:
>
>>> contrary to what some people think should be the case, we often edit our
>>> document code by hand.
>
>> I *never* manually edit document code, and I see no reason why anyone should ever need to.
>
> There is one big fat reason: because there are no suitable tools that write this particular document code.

I understand the potential need for additional translators. I don't
understand the requirement for manual editing.

> If we can somehow make it happen that there are multiple editors that
> reasonably serve the variety of editing philosophies practiced in the
> IETF, I'm all for leaving the document code to the tools, but unless
> I'm even less well informed than some people think I am, this never
> happened for the current format so it's unlikely to happen any time
> soon for the new format. (Unless we are willing to drop a whole bunch
> of other requirements.)

FWIW, it happens right now in the current format using the current Word
template and post-processing Perl script. I *never* need to edit
anything except the Word format for that to work.

Joe