[rfc-i] Proper use of word processors

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Tue May 29 12:27:24 PDT 2012

On 29 May 2012, at 19:10 , Joe Touch wrote:

>> contrary to what some people think should be the case, we often edit our
>> document code by hand.

> I *never* manually edit document code, and I see no reason why anyone should ever need to.

There is one big fat reason: because there are no suitable tools that write this particular document code. If we can somehow make it happen that there are multiple editors that reasonably serve the variety of editing philosophies practiced in the IETF, I'm all for leaving the document code to the tools, but unless I'm even less well informed than some people think I am, this never happened for the current format so it's unlikely to happen any time soon for the new format. (Unless we are willing to drop a whole bunch of other requirements.)

> Making support for that a requirement here is definitely both limiting and outdated, IMO.

Limiting and outdated are not necessarily contrary to the state of the world.

> plowing through references and converting them is going to get old fast. Again, the question is why? There's no universally accepted format for references anyway - all that's needed is enough information that the author can get at the info. We allow URLs, which ought to be enough at that point.

Completely agree.