[rfc-i] I18N constraints

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Tue May 29 10:13:23 PDT 2012

On 5/29/2012 4:27 AM, "Martin J. Dürst" wrote:
>> Any new RFC must still remain fully comprehensible if all
>> non-ASCII chars are completely stripped, e.g. because the device
>> is not capable of rendering them.
>
> Oh well. Why don't you have a look at a publication from the ACM, or the
> IEEE, or some similar professional organization. These managed to use
> non-ASCII characters even before ASCII was invented, and have been doing
> so throughout their existence, without any serious problems either on
> the production or on the consumption side.

Agreed, but they have no delusions of requiring support to manually edit
the source, or that the doc will include metadata or *any* structural
tagging.

They typically accept postscript or PDF, and as long as it fits their
(paper-based) format criteria, they don't care further.

I.e., the tension is not in trying to do what the ACM/IEEE commonly do,
it's in going so far above and beyond that the result is - at best - a
research project for library science folk.

Joe